‘We are looking down Caer Street towards the wall of St. Mary’s churchyard, this wall running along what had been renamed St. Mary’s Square in 1937, after many years as Calvert Street. A number of the buildings on the left would now be absorbed into the great width of our Princess Way, near the bottom end of McDonald’s. What looks like a bombed church in the foreground is the old meeting hall of the Freemasons, in use from 1872 to the mid 1920s. By 1939 it was empty’.
Gerald Gabb, 2021